Saturday, October 10, 2009

Week 1 Complete!

As of today, I have completed one week of my body challenge.  I am sore, tired, exhilarated, and pleased with myself.  It's been far more fun than I had ever imagined exercising could be.  Plus, it's been great getting to know my fellow teammates, joining in the camaraderie of aching muscles.

Interestingly, I didn't find it difficult to go to workouts.  Even the cold, snowy, Saturday morning work out didn't phase me (ok, well, not too much anyway).  It feels good to know I'm doing something really great for myself. I was so pleasantly rewarded this morning when we did our push ups in class, and the first 6 were really easy!  One week ago, I would have struggled through 5, and said "No more".  It really blew me away that I could do 16+ push ups in only a week, and truly, what better motivation?  If I've already seen this improvement in a week, what am I going to be able to do at 5 weeks?  What about when I'm done at 10 weeks?

I did find I struggled with something else this week.  I was hungry. All. The. Time.  I am eating 6 times a day, so how in the world could I be so hungry all the time?  I talked it over with my coaches today after my workout, and got some pointers.  They recommended paying closer attention to my protein intake, because that will help me feel full longer.  So, that has become my main goal this week; pay attention to protein in meals and make sure I'm getting enough.

One thing that really stood out to me this week is the quote in my book that stated "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail."  I glossed over it the first couple times I read that, but later in the week, it really hit me that this was so true.  My mom invited me out to dinner, and I was faced with figuring out where would be the best place for me to make the best food decisions.  We settled on Outback Steakhouse.  I promptly went to the online menu and chose what to have for dinner-ahi tuna and a sweet potato without butter.  Only water to drink.  It didn't even occur to me until later when I read that quote again that I made a plan that was in line with my goals, and succeeded in sticking to it.  I realized very clearly the truth in those words.

So, tomorrow, is my off day.  I'm looking forward to sleeping in, having my "cheat" meal, and enjoying dinner with family.  I am having a BLT for my cheat meal, with lots of mayo and bacon!  I am excited to see what week 2 brings my way as well.  I had a bit of a shake up for my Monday morning, so I'm going to kickboxing in the evening rather than the morning.  We'll see how that goes.  It's been a fabulous journey so far, and I'm ready to continue down this path!

No comments:

Post a Comment