Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Almost There!

Today is Wednesday.  Sunday is the start of my 10 week Ultimate Body Challenge.  I have to admit I'm kind of nervous.  I always have some anxiety when entering a new situation, and this is no different.  I've also been thinking of what kind of goals to focus on, which is also intimidating, because I'm not grossly overweight.  In fact, I'm not overweight at all any more, according to the numbers.  I'm not where I want to be though, and that's what I have to remember.  I'm not out to impress anyone but myself.  I'm doing this to take my fitness to the next level and to do it the healthy way.

I find it interesting the expectations that I put upon myself because of what I think I should want or should expect.  I could probably analyze the reasons I do this (I'm a people pleaser, I need approval, what have you), but it's far easier to focus on changing it rather than figuring out why.  What do I want?  What are my expectations for myself?  These are far easier questions to answer than "am I doing the right thing?" or "how is this going to impact others?"  When I made the decision to become a vegetarian, those were two questions I found myself asking about my family.  How am I going to feed them and me?  Should I just make them join me? Is it going to be a lot more work for me to make two separate entrees?  The answer to these questions boiled down to one thing, what I wanted to have happen.  Once I decided, I made it work.  I plan ahead a bit more, and it's only slightly more work to make a meatless entree for myself.  The bottom line is, it was what I wanted, and I feel better for it.

Obviously, there are times you don't want to merely follow your gut feeling on things, like your retirement portfolio!  But, in the matters of what's best for yourself, your instinct is always going to be right.  Like vegetarianism and this Ultimate Body Challenge.  I knew these are things I wanted for my life, and it feels right to pursue them.  The expectation is that I will be healthier and happier.  That's really all I can ask for in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment