Monday, April 27, 2009

"Official" Day 1

It's my "official" first day as a vegetarian. I'm actually on day 3 of no meat meals. Tonight, I became a REAL vegetarian; I had tofu for dinner. BBQ'ed tofu with onions, rice and corn on the side. Surprisingly, it was good! It was smooth and rich tasting. After about three bites, I realized something that will change my life forever. Tofu has no fat.

Now, when I say no fat, I don't mean the daily allowance crap that no one can achieve even when they're trying. I mean the springy, chewy, glistening parts that are on every piece of meat, whether chicken or beef, pork or lamb. Ever since I was a child, I painstakingly examined every piece of meat for the stuff. My parents, God bless them, took my seriously and thoroughly cut off every visible sign of fat until I was old enough to wield my own knife. I know someone is staring agog at the screen wondering what the big deal is. For me, it's the difference between finishing a meal or not. Many, many meals have been ruined by my teeth bouncing back from whatever meat I'm trying to chew, and no matter how many times I tell myself it was just one piece, the damage is done. Dinner is over.

How intensely freeing to eat without fear! How wonderful to enjoy dinner without inspecting every forkful! This is an unexpected and welcome benefit of forsaking meat, and welcome it I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment